The Library is open to Fellows and members of the public by appointment only due to the multipurpose use of the building. We are a small team, and if we know in advance what material you are interested in, this will help us to prepare and retrieve material to make your visit more successful.
Opening hours: Monday-Friday, 10am-5pm
Contact: +44 (0)20 7434 4479 EXT 223 | email@example.com
Fellows and Associate Members of The Linnean Society of London residing in the British Isles can borrow up to six books from the Library with the following exceptions:
- Books published before 1850
- Items containing original artwork or hand-coloured illustrations
- Oversize, rare, valuable or fragile books
- Items containing or consisting of manuscript material, including annotations
- Books with an important provenance or association
Loans are for one month and renewable if not required by another user. Loans are sent by Recorded Delivery (all postage to be paid by the borrower).
Reciprocal borrowing agreements are available in connection with other Burlington House Societies. If you wish to use another society’s library, please contact The Linnean Society Library.
- Readers are asked to sign the Visitors’ Book at the entrance to the Library.
- Bags and coats must be left in the cloakrooms in the basement.
- Eating, drinking and use of mobile phones are not permitted.
- Access to manuscripts requires prior notice. Readers will be asked to sign the manuscript consultation book.
- Use of pens during manuscript consultation is not allowed; pencils can be provided on request.
- No photography is allowed (including mobile devices) without permission of Library staff.
- Book support pillows, gloves and book weights must be used when Library staff deem it necessary.
- Inform Library staff of your schedule if leaving the Library or building.
- Access to the Linnaean collections and other rare material shall be at the discretion of the Librarian.
- Wireless internet access is available; please ask Library staff for the password.
- Laptop computers may be used, but overseas visitors are advised to bring their own UK adaptors.
- There is also a computer available to access our online catalogue.
- A photocopier may be used at the discretion of Library staff in accordance with copyright law and considering the suitability of material to be copied. A fee may be charged.
- There are no public printing facilities available.