Join our expert staff for a tour of the Linnean Society of London, the world’s oldest learned society devoted to biology and natural history, and the birthplace of the theory of evolution. As you explore the Society’s magnificent premises at Burlington House in the heart of Mayfair, you will learn about the history of this remarkable institution and the countless treasures it holds.
The tour will include a visit to the Society’s bombproof collections store, where the priceless book, archive and biological specimen collections of the Swedish naturalist Carl Linnaeus are housed in environmentally-controlled conditions beneath the teeming shoppers of Piccadilly.
One of the most important venues in the history of science, a tour of the Linnean Society offers a glimpse of one of London’s true treasures.
Covid Update: We are pleased to resume tours of Burlington House, albeit in a slightly amended form to protect our staff, members, and visitors. We are delighted to re-open our Collections Store to the public, where the book, manuscript, and biological specimen collections of Carl Linnaeus are securely stored. However, as the store is a relatively small and under-ventilated space, we limit visitor numbers to 12 per group, and encourage the use of a face-covering. Please contact the library for further information, or fill out the Tour Enquiry Form below.
- For individuals: our monthly Treasures Tourstake place in the first week of each month (please see our Upcoming Events pages for details and booking)
- Group tours can be arranged Monday to Friday, 10.00-17.00 (excluding Bank Holidays and the period between Christmas and New Year).
- Tours last approximately 1.5 hours. Please note that all tours are subject to staff availability and change.
- Due to the nature of our collections and the size of our Collections Store, we can only offer tours to groups aged 16 and up.
- For larger groups please find a registration form below. Please be sure to contact us as far in advance as possible to avoid disappointment. Please note that any groups over 12 will be separated into two groups on the day of your visit. The current restrictions on the Collections Store will impact the type of visit we can offer (see fees below).
- For student groups of over 12 people please make sure that you include the requisite number of staff (at least two) in your party.
|Individual (Treasures Tour)||£12|
|Groups (min 6 people, max 24 people)||£12/person (individual rate)|
|Large Groups (25-40 people)||£12/person but visit will exclude the Collections Store|
|Tours for educational organisations||Free, with discretionary donation|
|Online collections tour||£6 per person|
* all fees quoted are inclusive of VAT
** ad-hoc tours such as may be offered from time to time for visiting dignitaries, donors, etc. are not included in the fee structure. An exclusive, complimentary collections tour is a benefit of AdoptLINN support above a certain threshold (£400).