Join our expert staff for a tour of the Linnean Society of London, the world’s oldest learned society devoted to biology and natural history, and the birthplace of the theory of evolution. As you explore the Society’s magnificent premises at Burlington House in the heart of Mayfair, you will learn about the history of this remarkable institution and the countless treasures it holds.
The tour will include a visit to the Society’s bombproof collections store, where the priceless book, archive and biological specimen collections of the Swedish naturalist Carl Linnaeus are housed in environmentally-controlled conditions beneath the teeming shoppers of Piccadilly.
One of the most important venues in the history of science, a tour of the Linnean Society offers a glimpse of one of London’s true treasures.
- For individuals: our monthly Treasures Tours take place in the first week of each month (please see our Upcoming Events pages for details and booking)
- Group tours can be arranged Monday to Friday, 10.00-17.00 (excluding Bank Holidays and the period between Christmas and New Year).
- Tours last approximately 1.5 hours. Please note that all tours are subject to staff availability and change.
- Due to the nature of our collections, and the size of our Collections Store, we can only offer collections tours to attendees aged 16 and over.
- Please note that any groups with more than 12 attendees will be separated into two cohorts on the day of your visit.
- For student groups of over 12 people please make sure that you include the requisite number of staff (at least two) in your party.
- The usual maximum number of attendees for our tours is 24 people. It may be possible to accommodate groups larger than this with advance notice. Please complete the Tour Enquiry form below, and a member of staff will be in touch to discuss your requirements.
|Individual (Treasures Tour)||£15 per person, or £12 concession (see note*)|
|Groups (min 6 people, max 24 people)||£15 per person, or £12 concession|
|Tours for educational organisations||Free (with discretionary donation)|
* We are pleased to offer a concessionary rate on the cost of our tours to Linnean Society members, and those less able to pay. Specifically, we offer a 20% discount if you are:
- A Fellow, Associate Member or Student Member of the Linnean Society of London;
- 65 years of age, or over;
- Currently in receipt of UK government benefit (including, but not limited to, Income Based Jobseeker's Allowance, Income-related Employment and Support Allowance, Income Support, Working Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit and Housing Benefit, and Universal Credit);
- Currently in full-time education.
** all fees quoted are inclusive of VAT.
*** ad-hoc tours such as may be offered from time to time for visiting dignitaries, donors, etc. are not included in the fee structure. An exclusive, complimentary collections tour is a benefit of AdoptLINN support above a certain threshold (£400).