(Full-time, permanent post)
Salary: £30,000 p.a. with a generous workplace pension scheme
The Linnean Society of London is a charity, the world’s oldest extant biological society, and has in its care several scientifically important collections, most notably those of the Swedish naturalist Carl Linnaeus, Charles Darwin and Alfred Russel Wallace. The Collections include a library, archives and biological specimens, and have been awarded Designation status by Arts Council England.
Working as part of a small Collections team, as the only librarian the post holder will be responsible for the printed collections and support the Head of Collections. The Librarian will have the opportunity to work with a rich and unique collection and will be responsible for the smooth running of all aspects of the Library, including:
- Supporting the research requirements of Library users;
- Cataloguing and classifying Library material, and managing the operation and development of the library management system (Heritage Cirqa);
- Coordinating and working alongside the Library’s long-standing volunteers, some of whom are central to cataloguing work;
- Overseeing the migration of records to the National Bibliographic Knowledgebase in the near future;
- Acting as Administrator for the Linnaeus Link Project, which includes attending the Linnaeus Link and European Botanical and Horticultural Libraries meetings yearly;
- Getting involved in the Society’s charitable public engagement and educational activities, including giving tours, creating displays in the Reading Room, and writing blogs.
Candidates should have a degree or postgraduate qualification in librarianship, information studies or information management and at least 3 years’ post-qualification experience in a comparable environment. This post will require exceptional knowledge of library systems, the ability to work independently but also collaboratively with the rest of the team, experience of working with volunteers, and commitment to the highest standards of service to our users.
If you have any queries please contact the Society’s Head of Collections, Dr Isabelle Charmantier, by e-mail at email@example.com, quoting the post title in the subject line, or by telephone on 020 7434 4479 ext 224.
Application is by CV and supporting letter, including details of two referees. Please send these by e-mail as above or by post to:
Dr Isabelle Charmantier
Head of Collections
The Linnean Society of London
London W1J 0BF
Closing date: Midnight on Tuesday 26 March 2019.
Interviews: These are scheduled for Friday 5 April 2019 at the Society’s Rooms in Burlington House.
The Society strives to be an Equal Opportunities employer.