26th March 2019 – Meet the Team: Room Hire Manager and Membership Assistant
This week on meet the team, we speak to our Room Hire Manager and Membership assistant, Tatiana Franco.
What are the key parts to your role?
My job is actually divided into 2 very different roles - Room Hire and Memberships.
- Dealing with enquires regarding the rooms
- Preparing rooms
- Setting up AV equipment/ helping with technical difficulties
- New Fellows first point of contact
- Dealing with queries regarding the Fellowship
- Informing new Fellows, Associates and Students of their acceptance into the Society
- Sending out letters of acceptance and packs
- Updating the database
- Preparing the Ballot and Council Agendas for Fellowship Elections
What do you like most about your job?
Both roles have given me the opportunity to learn and meet lots of interesting people. Hearing all the positive comments from visitors and Fellows is always very rewarding.
How did you end up in this job?
After University, I worked in the film industry, which is not as glamorous as it sounds. I always wanted to work within the heritage sector, so when the opportunity arose, I couldn’t resist and applied for the role.
What is your favourite species of animal or plant?
This is a very difficult question for me because I love animals. If I have to pick just one it would have to be the cat (Felis catus). I am fascinated by these beautiful creatures.
What is the most interesting item to you in the Linnean Society collections?
For me it has to be the Roll and Charter. It’s incredible to think that so many famous names in history have signed the same book. The detail that went into some of the illustrated pages is incredible. Among my favourites is Queen Victoria.
What do you like to do in your spare time?
Reading, dancing, and when I have the opportunity—travelling.