Wonderful Wings (Art Class)
This two-part class will expand your observation and painting skills through the study of wings from different species.
|Venue:||The Linnean Society of London, Burlington House, Piccadilly, London, W1J 0BF, United Kingdom|
02074344479 ext 228
TWO DAY ART CLASS 10:00–16:00 Wednesday 25th and Thursday 26th September 2019
This workshop is for adults and is aimed to accommodate mixed abilities, with tuition for all levels. The classes have a maximum of eight students, and usually there will be two tutors, so that individual attention is possible.
A full listing of upcoming workshops can be found here: Discovery Workshops
This two-day class will be a study and exploration of the drawing and painting of insect wings and bird feathers, using specimens from the Linnean Society's handling collection as well as exotic specimens provided by our artists. The class will aim to provide a better understanding of the structure of different wings and how to capture this using watercolour.
The class will include a visit to the Linnean Society’s Special Collection Store, as well as their Library to see work from past Masters, including the extraordinary paintings of Maria Sibylla Merian (1647-1717).
The classes will take place in the newly-built studio in the Linnean Society, which has a wonderful cabinet display of books and objects.
This workshop costs £120 and is open to all.
- Registration is essential to secure your place.
- Places will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Doors will open at 9.45 and the workshops will begin at 10.00.
- Basic materials, as well as teas and coffees, will be provided. Participants are encouraged to bring their own art materials if they have them.
- The workshops include an hour lunch break. Participants are encouraged to take their lunch outside the Society as there are no convenient facilities for eating - the Discovery Room itself is home to some of the Society's unique historical collections.
PSSST! Did you know the Discovery Workshop programme is non-for-profit, with any leftover income cycling back to subsidise places for those who are unable to pay? To apply for a subsidised or free place, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, noting which workshop/course you are interested in attending.