Painting Butterflies and Moths
This will be a day of drawing and painting in watercolour butterflies from the Linnean Society's handling collection.
The Linnean Society of London, Burlington House, Piccadilly, London,
United Kingdom View map and get directions
ART CLASS 10:00–16:00 Friday 15th May 2020
This workshop is for adults and is aimed to accommodate mixed abilities, with tuition for all levels.
The classes have a maximum of eight students, and usually there will be two tutors, so that individual attention is possible.
Basic watercolour materials will be provided, although participants are encouraged to bring their own if they have them.
A full listing of upcoming workshops can be found here: Discovery Workshops
Back by popular demand, this class will be inspired by the Linnean’s stunning collection of moths and butterflies and students will learn to draw these beautiful insects using watercolours and inks.
It will aim to provide a better understanding of the structure and life of butterflies and moths. The class will include a visit to the Linnean Society's Library to see work from past Masters, including the extraordinary paintings of Maria Sibylla Merian (1647-1717).
The classes will take place in the newly-built studio in the Linnean Society, which has a wonderful cabinet display of books and objects.
This workshop costs £60 and is open to all.
- Registration is essential to secure your place.
- Places will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Doors will open at 9.30 and the workshops will begin at 10.00.
- Basic materials, as well as teas and coffees, will be provided.
- The workshops include an hour lunch break. Participants are encouraged to take their lunch outside the Society as there are no convenient facilities for eating - the Discovery Room itself is home to some of the Society's unique historical collections.
PSSST! Did you know the Discovery Workshop programme is non-for-profit, with any leftover income cycling back to subsidise places for those who are unable to pay? To apply for a subsidised or free place, please send an email to email@example.com, noting which workshop/course you are interested in attending.