Drawing and Painting Mythical Creatures
Take inspiration from Carl Linnaeus' mythical animals to explore the boundaries of animal form and create your own paradoxical art-piece.
|Venue:||The Linnean Society of London, Burlington House, Piccadilly, London, W1J 0BF, United Kingdom|
02074344479 ext 228
ART CLASS 10:00 – 16:00 Tuesday 4th and Wednesday 5th February 2020
This two-day course will be a study and exploration of the drawing and painting of mythical creatures, using Carl Linnaeus' book, the Systema Naturae, as inspiration, alongside other works by prominent scientists and artists throughout history.
The course will aim to provide a better understanding of the structure of different classes of animal, and how to create a composition of different patterns, textures and forms using watercolour.
The course will include a visit to the Linnean Society’s Special Collection Store, as well as the Library.
The classes will take place in the newly-built studio in the Linnean Society, which has a wonderful cabinet display of books and objects.
This workshop costs £120 and is open to all.
- Registration is essential to secure your place.
- Places will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Doors will open at 9.45 and the workshops will begin at 10.00.
- Basic materials, as well as teas and coffees, will be provided.
- The workshops include an hour lunch break. Participants are encouraged to take their lunch outside the Society as there are no convenient facilities for eating - the Discovery Room itself is home to some of the Society's unique historical collections.
PSSST! Did you know the Discovery Workshop programme is non-for-profit, with any leftover income cycling back to subsidise places for those who are unable to pay? To apply for a subsidised or free place, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, noting which workshop/course you are interested in attending.