Key Land Plant Innovations in Bryophytes
|Venue:||The Linnean Society of London, Burlington House, Piccadilly, London, W1J 0BF, United Kingdom View map and get directions|
02074344479 ext 211
EVENING LECTURE 18:00–19:00 Thursday 16 April 2020
Bryophytes (mosses, liverworts and hornworts) occupy a key evolutionary position, being widely regarded as the closest extant relatives of the first land plants. However their order of divergence and whether or not they constitute a monophyletic group have been hotly debated for over half a century. The latest molecular evidence now provides support for a mosses-liverworts clade, with the position of hornworts remaining uncertain and monophyly gaining renewed support. I will discuss how current hypotheses on the origin and evolution of key land plant innovations fit into these emerging evolutionary scenarios focusing on bryophyte mycorrhizal-like associations and the stomatal apparatus.
Dr Silvia Pressel FLS is a Researcher in the Life Sciences Department at the Natural History Museum, London working on diverse aspects of bryophyte biology and evolution. Current research foci in her laboratory include the evolution and diversity of mycorrhizal associations in land plants, stomata development and function in bryophytes, and bryophyte biogeography and conservation on South Atlantic Oceanic Islands. She was the recipient of the Irene Manton Prize in 2007 and of the Trail Crisp Medal in 2014.
- This event is free and open to all.
- Registration is essential. Seats will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Doors will open at 17:30. Please note that the meeting room will open at 17:45, 15 minutes prior to the start of the talk.
- Tea will be served in the Library from 17:30 and the event will be followed by a white wine reception (cash bar).
- Please note that Fellows-only tickets are limited to two tickets per Fellow (one for themself and a guest).
Key Land Plant Innovations in Bryophytes - FREE
Once your Registration has been successfully submitted, you will receive a CONFIRMATION EMAIL.