Gain Confidence Drawing Nature
This course will guide participants in how to use a variety of materials - pencils, pens, inks charcoal.
The Linnean Society of London, Burlington House, Piccadilly, London, W1J 0BF, United Kingdom,
ART COURSE 10:00 - 16:00, Thursday 18th April 2019
This course is for adults and is suitable for beginners and for those wanting to refresh their skills.
There will be a maximum of eight participants with one tutor so that individual attention can be given.
All materials will be provided, although participants are encouraged to bring their own if they have them.
A full listing of upcoming workshops can be found here: Discovery Workshops
This course will provide participants with some approaches to making marks in an exploratory way to build overall confidence. In addition to drawing, the course will involve discussion and thinking about drawing in the facilitator's approach, divided into four distinct phases:
Intention | Act | Process | Outcome
Below are a set of expected outcomes for participants during the course:
- Use pencils, charcoal, pens and ink to enhance your range
- Explore experimental mark making
- Learn to draw simple and complex subjects with confidence
- Produce a series of outcomes
- Understand the physical importance and relationship between your body and the marks you make
- Consider the benefits of emotion vs accuracy
- Discuss and consider what drawing actually is and can be
- connect with a long history of recording and responding to the natural world
- Have fun!
This workshop costs £45 and is open to all.
- Registration is essential to secure your place.
- Places will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Doors will open at 9.30 and the workshops will begin at 10.00.
- Basic materials, as well as teas and coffees, will be provided.
- The workshops include an hour lunch break. Participants should bring their own lunch, or purchase from local shops. Participants are encouraged to take their lunch outside the Society as there are no convenient facilities for eating - the Discovery Room itself is home to some of the Society's unique historical collections.
PSSST! Did you know the Discovery Workshop programme is non-for-profit, with any leftover income cycling back to subsidise places for those who are unable to pay? To apply for a subsidised or free place, please send an email to email@example.com, noting which workshop/course you are interested in attending.
About the artist
Stephen Hall is a research graduate from The Royal College of Art, underpinning a 20-year studio practice delivering a range of various disciplines including graphic design, illustration, animation, interactive design to international and national clients. Complementing this has been an equally impressive educational career lecturing and teaching across various renowned UK colleges and universities. Drawing sits at the heart of his all his work.
See Stephen's artist profile here.