Courtyard Lates: Resources
+44 (0)20 7434 4479 EXT 211
SPECIAL EVENT Friday 27 July 2018 18:00 –21:00
See the Burlington House Courtyard like never before and discover the six learned societies that reside there. Their aim is to further the study of art, history and science, and share it with audiences around the world. Come and experience our third annual Courtyard Summer Late— During this event, visitors will be introduced to our special collections as we explore the theme of RESOURCES (in its widest sense!) with the resources needed, used and produced as part of each Society’s contribution to the study of art, history and science …
Each society has a unique programme to offer audiences of all ages, and great food and drink on offer, too! Find out more details about the other societies events here.
At the Linnean Society, drop into our meeting room and listen to fascinating 15 minute talks, looking at plants as resources. Topics include:
- how plants have been used both as medicines and poisons,
- how algae has been exploited as a resource for sustainable futures
- how plant conservation science is being used to tackle food and income security in developing countries.
Continuing the theme of plants as resources, attend an exclusive spirit tasting session in our Library looking at the use of plants in gin, vodka and whisky, as well as a herbal tea making session in the Discovery room. Experts will be on hand in both rooms to discuss the use of plants in the various spirits and tea. Slots will last 15 minutes each for both the spirit tasting and the tea making and will need to be booked in advanced.
- This event is free and open to all.
- Registration for the spirit tasting and the tea making is essential.
- Registration for the spirit tasting and tea making will open on the 2nd July 2018