BioMedia Books Chapter 1: Sorting the World
What does it take to sort millions of plants, insects, animals into discrete categories? Join our art and science activity with Neil Packer and Maarten Christenhusz to unpack taxonomy.
LINNEAN LEARNING EVENT 13:30-15:00 SATURDAY, 13 FEB 2021
Presenting our very first event from our new BioMedia Book series! Join our guests Neil Packer, author/illustrator of the beautiful 2020 picture book One of a Kind, and Dr Maarten Christenhusz, botanist, taxonomy specialist, and editor of the Linnean Society’s zoological journal.
This event is suitable for anyone who is new to the idea of taxonomy, who’d like to know more about:
- The history of taxonomy in natural history
- How authors and illustrators get inspiration from scientific ideas
- How the ‘sorting science’ of taxonomy helps us understand natural and man-made systems
- Using the science of classification in creative arts
You’ll also have an opportunity to question the panelists, participate in a fun categorisation activity, and win free copies of One of a Kind, which we promise is an absolute collector's item!
Please register by February 10 to receive the list of items required for the sorting activity for kids, and extra resources.
No previous experience required; suitable for families and beginners!
NB: Best for age 8+; might not be suitable for very young kids.
This event will take place online using Zoom webinar.
- This event is free and open to all
- Registration is essential, and will close 24 hours before the event is set to begin
- Once you have registered, just sit back and wait. You will be sent the joining links and details 24 hours before the event begins.
- Please check your spam / junk folders for the Zoom link on the day of the event
To hear about more events in the future, subscribe to Linnean News.