An archive of the winners and shortlisting of previous versions of the Linnaeus' New Portrait Competition
We invited 8-11 year olds to create a new 21st Century portrait of Carl Linnaeus to replace our current portrait while it goes away for a while. The winning portrait hung in the centre of our historic Meeting Room for 4 months.
The Winner and Finalists
Congratulations to Leo who blew us away with this amazingly detailed and dramatic portrait which truly captures the essence of Linnaeus. We loved the use of colours and shading as well as the inclusion of a variety of species.
We would also like to highlight three other entries which we thought were beyond fantastic. Well done to Heidi, Chun Hoi Lai and Marina.
We received a mountain of entries and whittling them down was really hard! Our Linnean Society judges managed to select a very special 26 portraits which you can see in the gallery below. The names of the people who made it into the shortlist are (alphabetical order):
- Alexandre, 10, Brussels
- Alfie Gilchrist, 10, Lincoln
- Astrid, 11, London
- Beatrice, 10, Brussels
- Chun Hoi Lai (Kenneth), 9, London
- Courtney, 10, London
- Esme, 10, London
- Flore, 10, London
- Flynn Elderton, 10, Buckden
- Heidi Foster, 10, Lincoln
- Jessica Legge, 11, Buckden
- John Tobin, 10, Brussels
- Joseph Armstrong, 10, Prescot
- Leo, 10, London
- Marina Lowney-Loring, 9, Wexford (Ireland)
- Matthew, 11, High Wycombe
- Mila Carulla, 9, London
- Niccolo, 10, London
- Oscar, 10, London
- Polly Sibthorpe, 11, Worcester
- Rachael, 11, High Wycombe
- Samuel Ryder, 10, Stamford
- Sebastian Ives, 10, Stamford
- Teig Corrin, 11, London
- Tim Barnes, 11, Brussels
- Yuriko Murakami, 10, Brussels
Follow @LinneanLearning on Twitter to hear about more fun competitions, resources and Linnaeus!
The gallery is in also in alphabetical order, as above.