Plants Discovery Kit
This Discovery Kit has been put together to help teachers cover the topic of plants with their students. The Activity Pack is designed to cover the following areas of the curriculum:
- Identify and name a variety of common and wild garden plants, including deciduous and evergreen trees
- Identify and describe the basic structure of a variety of common flowering plants, including trees
- Observe and describe how seeds and bulbs grow into mature plants
- Find out and describe how seeds need water, light and a suitable temperature to grow and stay healthy
- Identify and describe the functions of different parts of flowering plants: roots, stem/trunk, leaves and flowers
- Explore the requirements of plants for life and growth (air, light, water, nutrients from soil and room to grow) and how they vary from plant to plant
- Investigate the way in which water is transported within plants
- Explore the part that flowers play in the life cycle of flowering plants, including pollination, seed formation and seed dispersal
The Activity Pack provided below contains a variety of activities, suitable for inside and outside the classroom environment. Some of the activities use the apparatus provided in the Discovery Kit, but others are stand alone and can be carried out with basic classroom equipment. We encourage you to use the Activity Pack to plan your lessons before the Kit arrives, to make maximum use of the time you have the equipment in school.
Before you can borrow any of our Kits, your headteacher must fill in the school agreement form below. To make a booking, visit the booking page.
This pack contains a variety of activities that can be carried out within the topic of plants - download a copy to help with your lesson planning.Plants-Activity-Pack-2019.pdf
School Agreement Form
This form must be completed by the head teacher and returned to the Education team before any Discovery Kits can be borrowed Only one form is required per school.Agreement-Form.pdf