Habitats Discovery Kit
This Discovery Kit has been put together to help teachers cover the topic of habitats with their students. The Activity Pack is designed to cover the following areas of the curriculum:
- Identify that most living things live in habitats to which they are suited and describe how different habitats provide for the basic needs of different kinds of animals and plants, and how they depend on each other Identify and name a variety of plants and animals in their habitats, including micro-habitats
- Describe how animals obtain their food from plants and other animals, using the idea of a simple food chain, and identify and name different sources of food
- Find out and describe the basic needs of animals, including humans, for survival (water, food and air)
- Recognise that environments can change and that this can sometimes pose dangers to living things
- Construct and interpret a variety of food chains, identifying producers, predators and prey
The Activity Pack provided below contains a variety of activities, suitable for inside and outside the classroom environment. Some of the activities use the apparatus provided in the Discovery Kit, but others are stand alone and can be carried out with basic classroom equipment. We encourage you to use the Activity Pack to plan your lessons before the Kit arrives, to make maximum use of the time you have the equipment in school.
Before you can borrow any of our Kits, your headteacher must fill in the school agreement form below. To make a booking, visit the booking page.
School Agreement Form
This form must be completed by the head teacher and returned to the Education team before any Discovery Kits can be borrowed. Only one form is required per school.Agreement-Form.pdf