Tackle the tricky topic of classification with the help of our loan box. Apparatus includes specimens in acrylic, pooters, clever catch balls and a Flexi-Scope.
Classification Loan Kit
This kit has been put together to help teachers cover the topic of classification with their students. The activity pack is designed to cover the following areas of the curriculum:
- Identify and name a variety of common wild and garden plants, including deciduous and evergreen trees
- Identify and name a variety of common animals including fish, amphibians, reptiles, birds and mammals
- Recognise that living things can be grouped in a variety of ways
- Explore and use classification keys to help group, identify and name a variety of living things in their local and wider environment
- Describe how living things are classified into broad groups according to common observable characteristics and based on similarities and difference, including micro-organisms, plants and animals
- Give reasons for classifying plants and animals based on specific characteristics
The teacher pack provided below contains a variety of activities, suitable for inside and outside the classroom environment. Some of the activities use the apparatus provided in the loan kit, but others are stand alone and can be carried out with basic classroom equipment. We encourage you to use the teacher pack to plan your lessons before the kit arrives, to make maximum use of the time you have the equipment in school.
Before you can borrow any of our kits, your headteacher must fill in the school agreement form below. To make a booking, email the education team. Please ensure you attach a completed agreement form and specify which kit you'd like to borrow.
This pack contains a variety of activities that can be carried out within the topic of classification - download a copy to help with your lesson planning.
This form must be completed by the head teacher and returned to the Education Team before any loan kits can be borrowed. Only one form is required per school.